Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Shooting Star


Shooting Star, Bad Company
Johnny was a schoolboy when he heard his first Beatle song, 'Love me do,' I think it was. From there it didn't take him long.

Well, I am not Johnny & I wasn't even in school when I heard my first Beatle song. I can't remember which song was first, but the album was Meet the Beatles. It was my sisters & I wasn't allowed to touch it.

So, when my older sisters would take off to school, I would ever so carefully pull the albums out, trying only to touch the edges as I put it on the turntable. Sometimes I would double-stack them, which was pretty scary. Yes, it meant I would touch them less, but they would have to endure the drop of the second album. But, like Johnny, after hearing the Beatles, it didn't take me long. I, like my sisters before me, had developed a love for rocking out.

Twenty years later, Kim & I went to the bar 'around the corner' where my soon-to-be-rocker-boyfriend's-band was playing. They played a bunch of old rock -n- roll songs... including Bad Company's Shooting Star. We were rockin'!

Driving home from this hole-in-the-wall, Kim & I were talking about Shooting Stars
& about how they made us feel blessed, kissed by God or Mother Nature, anytime we got to catch a glimpse of one.

Now the drive, from dance floor to front door, was no more than 6 blocks so it wasn't an extensive conversation, but about 3 blocks into it something magical happened.
A colorful shooting star swooshed across the middle of the night skyline right in front of us. My foot left the gas pedal & both, Kim & I, were shooting out words of awe when SWOOSH here came another one. They formed a big x in our windsheild.

We felt like we were being called upon by the Lords above. It was after 2 am & we should have been beat ... late night, dancing, alcohol ... but we weren't. We were ignited, charged & driven. Those shooting stars were so sobering, yet so intoxicating... energizing us with a blanket of tranquility.

We pulled the tri-fold beach loungers out from the shed. We made coffee. We piled up, like little kids on their first camping trip, in the backyard. We watched the shooting stars carve a kaleidescope of colors into the skies. If we saw one, we saw thirty. We saw pink ones and blue ones, red and green ones, purple ones and of course, pure white ones. We talked about fate and free will and feelings of peace, music and harmony...harmony of people, places and events.
We went through bouts of silence, as well...just soaking up the sensations that Mother Nature's choreographers had designed that exceptional night. We wondered if anyone else in this great big world was sharing this arena with us? Was it just as magical for them? We were right where we beleived we were supposed to be...on the top of the sandy little hill, in tri-fold beach loungers, wrapped up in mexican throws, in Kim's backyard, feeling at one with the world.

Fate and free will, music and harmony brought us there & filled us with peace, blessed us and kissed our inner spirits.

So here's an affectionate toast to sisterhood, neighborhood bars, the Beatles & shooting stars.
God, Mother Nature and the Lords up above have blessed us in so many ways.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are blessed, not just by the shooting stars, but by and with each other.
I know that doesn't always mean good times, it means hard times too & I am sorry for that.
Dear Kim, I just know you will pull through this tough time & I know things will never be the same again, when you do. But I know that you are loved so very much.
May God Bless You, May the Sisterhood, the Doctors, the Strangers, All of Us Bless You ...as you have blessed ALL OF US!